Revolutionary Dr Pabitra Mohan Roy- traveler on a perilous journey.

Born on July 2, 1908 in Bikrampur in Dacca district, Dr Pabitra Mohan Roy passed his matriculation form Tangail School in 1927. He completed studying medicine from Dacca National Medical College in 1931. In the same year, evading arrest for revolutionary activities, he arrived in Malaya via Rangoon, where he came in contact with revolutionary Rashbehari Bose. He got involved in doing organizational work for Azad Hind Sangh. After Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose came and took over as the Supreme Commander of the Azad Hind Fauz or the Indian National Army, he joined its Secret Service following his order. In 1944 a team of Secret Service personnel from the INA landed on the coast of Orissa in a Japanese submarine. The team functioned in India for a year having set up base in Calcutta. Dr Roy was arrested in Puri in 1945. He was sentenced to death by hanging after trial. Later the death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment. In prison he started writing his own diary which contains the details of the preparations and the execution of his secret mission for the INA in India. He was released in December 1946. In the first general elections he was elected to the West Bengal Legislative Assembly. He passed away on March 21, 1993.

Towards the end of 1962 he went to Naimisharanya on the basis of the report of Professor Atul Sen searching for Netaji Subhas where he was said to be living as a saint in seclusion. He was able to finally meet the saint in a dilapidated temple in Naimisharanya. After having spoken to him he was convinced that the saint or the sanyasi was none other than Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. By way of testing him the saint handed over a list of items to be delivered to him. Unable to complete procuring the wish list of the sanyasi he confided everything to Revolutionary Leela Roy and sought her help. She sought seven days’ time within which she was able to procure everything as per the list provided by the Sanyasi. Before the 23rd January 1963 Dr Pabitra Mohan Roy set out for Naimisharanya along with all the items asked for by him. Then on till September 16, 1985 he maintained uninterrupted contact with the Sanyasi. As he had risked his life obeying the order of the Supreme Commander once undertaking a perilous journey and a dangerous duty which resulted him being sentenced to death, he surrendered to his leader once again and kept serving him with utmost loyalty and obedience. Nobody came to know of the reunion that took place after loss of contact for over fifteen years between the leader and his trusted loyal follower.